Sexuality. Social Status. Race. Religion.
We are in a man-made pyramid – each level, each class, each category defined by stereotypes. As it seeks to raise awareness about this issue, Atenews is now accepting short stories, poems, and photo essays for its annual literary folio, Banaag Diwa.
Contributors can now submit their works that depict this year’s theme, BEEF, PORK, CHICKEN: STEREOTYPES AND STRATIFICATION.
Top 3 short stories, poems, and photo essays will be awarded with cash prizes as follows:
1st Placer – Php 4,000
2nd Placer – Php 2,000
3rd Placer – Php 1,000
To be considered, interested writers/photographers should follow the guidelines below:
- The competition is open only to all bona fide students of Ateneo de Davao University. Alumni, and members of the faculty and staff may submit for Banaag Diwa and may have their works published. However, they are not eligible for the awards. Last year’s winners of the Banaag Diwa awards are also not eligible.
- There should only be one entry per participant. Should a participant submit more than one entry, the earliest entry is the only one eligible for the competition. The latter entries can still be published for the literary folio.
- A participant can join in only one category. Submissions may be in English, Filipino, or Cebuano.
- Short story and poetry submissions should be computerized in MS Word with one-inch margin on all sides. Font size should be 12, and font style should be Times New Roman. For Photo Essays, photos should be in JPEG file format, and the write-up should be computerized following the same format of the other categories. The full name of the author should be written immediately under the title.
- Submissions should be through email only, with the subject “BD_CATEGORY_TITLE_LASTNAME” (e.g. BD_SHORT STORY_THE GIFT_REYES) sent to [email protected] The body of the email should contain the full name, course and year of the submitter as well as the contact information. Photo Essay entries should send the photos as well as the write-up in a zip or rar archive with a title the same as the subject.
- The deadline for entries is on February 10, 2017.
- All submitted works should not have been previously published or have won any competition. Photo Essay entries are not allowed to have major alterations or editing.
- The judges’ decision shall be final and irrevocable unless a winner has violated the above mechanics. Should that occur, the winner shall be disqualified from the competition and his/her original ranking shall be left unoccupied.