More Info about Teodoro Casiño:
- Filipino partylist member, journalist, and representative
- Member for the House of Representatives, Bayan Muna
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, University of the Philippines (1986-1993)
Honors and awards:
- Congress Magazine’s Most Outstanding Congressman for 2008
- UPLB Most Distinguished Alumni for Extension for 2002
- Commissioner, EDSA People Power Commission, 2001-2002
Authored Laws and Bills
Teodoro Casiño is the principal author of four laws that have benefited the poor and marginalized sectors, namely:
- The Public Attorneys Act of 2007 (R.A. 9406) which strengthened the Public Attorneys Office and expanded its free legal services to poor litigants;
- The Tax Relief Act of 2009 (R.A. 9504) which exempts minimum wage earners from withholding taxes;
- The Rent Control Act of 2009 (R.A. 9653) which put a cap on rent for low-income earners;
- The Anti-Torture Act of 2009 (R.A. 9745) which penalizes torture.
- Aside from this, Teodoro Casiño (Teddy Casiño) has authored a total of 178 authored and 376 co-authored measures, making him the 4th most prolific congressman in the 15th Congress.
Casino’s main advocacy is the lowering of prices of electricity, oil and water as well as regulation in the price of education, healthcare, mobile communications, toll fees and other basic utilities and services. Towards this end, he has filed bills on:
1.) The removal of VAT on power (HB 2719), oil (HB 1630) and toll fees (HB 5303)
2.) The regulation of oil prices (HB 4355), mobile phone services (HB 5653), tuition fees (HB 1961) and interest rates (HB 4917).
He has consistently opposed the budget cuts in our state colleges and universities as well as the privatization of our public hospitals and water districts.
As a relentless fighter of corruption and government abuse, Casino is also the principal author of
1.) The Whistleblowers Protection and Rewards Bill (HB 132),
2.) The Freedom of Information Bill (HB 133), the Anti-Dynasty Bill (HB 3413)
3.)The House version of the Anti-Epal Bill (HB 2309).
Teodoro Casiño envisions for low prices, more jobs, and good governance.
“I stand on MAKABAYAN’s 10-Point Agenda which promotes nationalism, democracy, and the rights and welfare of the people at all times. To sum up, my platform is about your right to live decently through affordable means and quality governance through accountability,” he said in his official website.
- Power to the people. We advocate empowering the people as key in changing governance and society. We will fight foreign and elite control until we can establish a government that is truly representative of the people.
- Fight for good governance. We will fight for an honest and excellent public service that is accountable to the people. We will prosecute corrupt officials and put an end to cheating, stealing and lying in the government.
- Develop a pro-Filipino economy. We will develop a pro-Filipino and pro-people economy, We will terminate unjust impositions by the US, IMF, WB, and WTO. We will pursue a program for genuine agrarian reform and cooperativization, modernization of agriculture, and industrialization.
- Lift the majority of the people from poverty. We will prioritize giving adequate work and decent wages to the workers, free land and subsidy to the farmers, provide food security, as well as greter access to social services such as education, health, housing, utilities and other needs.
- Protect the environment. We will protect the forests, seas, and bodies of water against massive exploitation and destruction especially by large commercial interests. We will address the problem of climate change and develop the use of clean and renewable energy.
- Build fair foreign relations. We will build new foreign relations based on respect for national sovereignty and mutual benefit. We will abrogate unequal agreements with the US, Japan and other nations. We will protect the rights and welfare of Filipino migrants abroad.
- Defend democratic and human rights. We will defend human rights. We will put a stop to the political repression of activists, journalists and critics of government and prosecute the perpetrators. We will uphold the right to self-determination of the BangsaMoro and indigenous peoples.
- Promote nationalist and progressive culture. We will promote patriotic, pro-people, pro-environment, scientific, and progressive education and culture. We will advance a national language and enrich our diverse cultures. We will renounce colonial, corrupt, and decadent culture.
- Uphold women’s rights and gender equality. We will fight for gender equality and rights of women in all levels of governance and livelihood in society. We will fight all forms of exploitation, discrimination and violence against women, gays and lesbians.
- Advance the peace process. We will advance the peace negotiations and the implementation of agreements between the government and the National Democratic Front and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. We will seek for all sides to decisively address and resolve the root causes of armed conflict.